RIP To Those Who Have Left Us


Mimi and Deborah are missing the friend they knew as Brooklyn, we called him Stalin.
When we got him from a breeder and it was love at first sight for everyone, a large cat with a larger personality. However, he had a serious heart condition and ore .........

The cardiologist said after his health check and an x-ray. ''His abdomen is filled with a dark red fluid, blood and his heart is like a flabby carrier bag''. 

Even on a large amount of expensive medication not forgetting the discomfort and stress of administering it, his days were numbered. Stalin was forced to breed for years and at the end of his useful breeding life, he was discarded. The breeder lied about his health, his age, about everything and continued to use him knowing she was passing on the same heart condition! DON'T buy from a breeder - you are saying yes to this!

The vet said he had 2 weeks to live, 2 months tops and needless to say we didn't try to home him we counted each day a blessing. 
He had 3 fosters before settling with his last family and friends Mimi the cat adopted from us, and Deborah the dog. They adored him, so much so they and gave up their spot on mum n dads bed to sleep near Brooklyn.

His heart finally gave out on the 11th October and he passed away peacefully in his dad's arms. crying

Brooklyn, you brought so much happiness to two and four-legged friends. Your funny quirks and fascination for playing with water and hiding, peeping round doors and boxes will stay with us forever.


Sadly our little man left us. He was doing so well after his heartworm treatment. He had a home, he was loved, adored by his family he even found love in little Zoe (one of the resident pugs). He had a bf in Elvis and for a few days, he and Carter were friends - a very pug affair.

On a Sunday quite unexpected he took a bad turn and was struggling to breathe, fluid on his lungs and no way back. He was in an oxygen box and even so unable to breathe. The vet suggested given the circumstances it was the kindest thing to do; the family couldn't bear to see him suffering and agreed to let him go. Devastated they stayed with him to the end!

RIP Ulric your time with us was short however you had a home and belonged!


July 2018 we lost our girl Mary, she passed quickly, she was ready. Her body frail and weakened by infection. After her brother Bear passed she had a few good weeks and enjoyed time in the sun and rain in the garden daily. Sadly she just wasn't strong enough to fight the good fight, and is now reunited with her brother in a better place, pain free!

She's in our hearts and will always be remembered, sweet Mary. 

Thank you Dawn for giving her a happy end of life and a dignified passing. I'm so grateful for all you did and gave to make her comfortable, she knew she was loved to the end xx 💙

Mr G

Mr G sadly passed away July 2018, at the ripe old age of 20+. He died where he lived and where he was happy and naturally.

He touched many people and was famous in and around Bowen Road area, where we believe he lived almost all his life. A year ago we took him off the street because of ill health, and while he recovered we put him in a home. Well guess what: he absolutely hated it. He yelled and screamed and growled and made life hell until a unanimous decision was reached to send him back to home. 

Mr G considered home the steps and the area around them and that's where his shrine is and where he's laid to rest! RIP Mr G - you brought many people together, loved and not forgotten...


Stan was happy and loved, and I truly believe he'd found the ultimate happiness in a little 5 year old boy; he found a friend, an ally and a companion. Stan was born in April 2011, but we haven't a lot of history other than what we were told when he came to us. That in itself was shocking, as we were told he was retarded! Of course, this is nonsense, he was in fact suffering from epilepsy.

Stan was never free from the debilitating clusters which reduced him to a twitching, confused, terrified shell. Two days later he'd bounce back, but at least once a month he endured more than I can bear to imagine, and we lost a little bit more of him. Over 48 hours last week Stan had 8+ seizures, he was snapping aggressively, urinating while stumbling and crashing into furniture, oblivious to what was going on around him or even who was there. We agreed it was time and so, on Saturday 2nd June 2018, with his best friend stroking his nose, his mum Heidi and me around him, he passed away quietly and peacefully.

Thank you Heidi and your son who is an absolute joy. You gave Stan possibly the best last 3 weeks. Thank you to Beth and David who had him for the longest time. For so many months you gave up on your own lives to help care for Stan. Thank you also to Amanda, Ida, and all those who donated towards his ongoing costs. He was loved by many and will be remembered fondly, R.I.P Stan..


It wasn't that long ago that we posted the sad return of two of our older, more mature dogs, Bear and Mary. All of us that knew and remembered them were stunned by their appearance and condition, but worked to get them back to being healthy, heavier and pain free. Both of them were 5kg+ underweight and struggled to move around comfortably, especially Bear, who stumbled and fell frequently.

After one month of good nutritious food, freshly cooked meat, supplements and pain killers it began to look hopeful. Mary had gained 600 grams and was starting to interact and even play with the other dogs in her foster home. For Bear there wasn't much improvement at all, in fact he gained more problems - he developed sores from lying on the hard, cold surfaces he preferred; he wasn't into cushion comfort. Within a 10 day period between a vet visit and an increase in painkillers, we realised that we were fighting a battle we could not win. His quality of life and dignity was at an all time low, so it was time to let him go.

On Monday 9th April, Bear and Mary spent a few hours in the garden sun watching the world go by. At around 3.30pm our sweet boy went to a better place, with his sister right where she'd always been - by his side. R.I.P lovely boy, we tried, but could do no more - it was just too late.

Thank you so much to Dawn for being with him at the end and for sticking by Mary, who has now lost her brother and friend of 12 years.


Llewellyn was one of the very first cats I rescued, then a tiny kitten. I got into so much trouble from the security guards for feeding and befriending him and his brother, until I finally caught them. I met his mum by chance and we have remained friends since - we met and Llewelyn went home with her to become the Prince we always knew he was! He was supposed to live forever, and though I didn't see him much over the years, I was aware that he was well, healthy and worshipped. His passing really was the end of an era, he was a really special cat. I'd always been more of a dog person but with Llewelyn that all changed - he was a beautiful soul.

Jane, you gave him everything and more, he knew he was loved and treasured his whole life - thank you.


Very recently we lost our boy Gabriel, and although he passed peacefully in his sleep, it was still a shock. We knew it was coming but we still expected him to have a few more years. Alas, it wasn't to be. From the day we got him he had probably cheated death on more than one occasion. The fact that he'd managed to escape AFCD for all those years and live a free life was more than a little impressive, not to mention he didn't have tick fever or heartworm either, and apart from being dirty he was in great shape externally! I was just as concerned about his lifetime pal and brother Gene, and how Gene would be without him. They'd never, to our knowledge, been apart other than when Gabriel was hospitalised for about 3 days earlier in the year. They spent months together in kennels and I hated it, but as there were two large dogs it wasn't easy to find a place for them to go. I spent days upon days agonising on how to get them out of there. I finally came up with a solution and asked our friend Jill, who I've known for many years, if she would consider taking them for their retirement. Thank goodness she agreed and so the boys moved back to where their life journey began (on Lamma).

Thanks Jill for giving Gabriel the opportunity to return to the Island he was born on. He had a home, walks, warmth and care.


Cash came to us in his senior years, and he came from a home where he had been loved and cared for until circumstances changed and he could no longer stay with his family. Believe me, it wasn't for the want of trying either. He had been a loved dog and a part of the family. He was going to be placed in a kennel until the end of his days, a nice enough place, but not a home. Anyway, we were able to help and he landed a foster any dog would want. Over the next 8 months or so we began fixing the parts that were fixable and he really did improve. He had surgery on both eyes, meds and shampoos, lotions and potions for horrendous skin - it was an endless stream of vet visits, all being time consuming and stressful. Every time his fosters were there at the ready and never a complaint. Finally, this amazing dog with a shiny coat, smooth skin, clear eyes and many kilos lighter emerged - it was incredible! We were all delighted, if not stunned, to see this gorgeous dog strut his stuff as a result so much love from his fosters. Sadly, it wasn't for long and he began having seizures - he became unstable on his legs and his mind was going too. We knew we'd get to a time when he would potentially have to be helped on his journey. That time came not long after he was officially adopted as part of the family.

Adeline, Jason & yes, you too Magic, the latter part of his life was the best thanks to you!


Derek was the dog who we said would never die! Even when he would only eat chicken soup, when he was wobbly on his legs and wasn't always aware of what was going on around him, he just kept on going. He wouldn't give up, or was it that he just didn't want to leave his mam? Even on that fateful day Derek fought the vet, he wasn't going to go quietly, no way! It made it that much harder though, I can tell you. This little dog lived longer than any dog I've had and against the odds. He was around for so long we can barely remember where he came from. We do know he came to us when he was around 5-7 years old, and he was fiesty like you can't imagine! I remember him chasing me around the kitchen nipping at my ankles, lovely boy! Saying Goodbye to a dog is hard and it never gets easier - we estimate that Derek was around 19, and he was the reason his mam stayed in Hong Kong. He was everything to her and her to him, she could do anything to him but nobody else.

RIP Derek, the end of another era! I'll be saying "goodbye" to another friend, his mam, as she will leave Hong Kong now.


Hank lived the longest part of his tragic life with an indiscriminate breeder in a cage, and the only kind thing the breeder ever did was give him away! Even then, it wasn't out of kindness, but because he wasn't making him any money anymore. When we got him in January this year (2017), we didn't know it was already too late for him - how could we? He had cancer and the mass had already taken hold, and in a very short time this adorable creature would deteriorate and waste away.

He had a home, a friend called Dexter, and a dad called Eric, who loved him and did everything possible to save him. The vet bills were near the $30,000 mark, but no amount of money could save him.

I want everyone to see Leo and think again before buying from a breeder. He suffered more than we can imagine, and for what? Towards the end he couldn't breathe properly - mucus flowed freely from his nose and constantly blocked it. He had nasal discharge throughout the whole time he was with Eric, and likely much longer before. He couldn't open or close his mouth; the cancer from his ear grew fast and spread, attached to his jaw and locked it, so he couldn't eat either. He had a feeding tube up to the day he died - when he tried to eat dry food, it would stick to the mucus on his face. He had to have his face cleaned more often than you can imagine, hourly sometimes! And all because the breeder didn't clean his ears, which led to infection, inflammation and ultimately, cancer.

Thank you Eric for giving him a few weeks of happiness, I know he knew he was loved right to the end, and that was the only love he'd known!

R.I.P Leo (Hank) xxx


Yesterday (12th June 2017), after living for around 11 months longer than was expected, our beautiful girl left us.She really was more than special to many of us, and the apple of her dads eye. We said our farewells to her and left the room. The end came quickly and her dad was with her! We celebrate her short life with some of the many photos from the day she was found in a box by her foster who became her dad.

Thank you to Rich and Roxy, for loving her so much and giving her everything possible to make her life better, including moving to an island just so she could have a garden, fresh air and space away from the evil Rico monster dog and the scary bald cat!!

R.I.P sweet Dede - always a part of us and always with us, never forgotten!


Tragically on the 23rd of January 2017 we had to let Gerald go, he was put to sleep. He was at home with his family who had hardly had a chance to celebrate him being their family member; their dog, their boy! He'd barely been adopted and here we were saying our final farewells. It's always sad saying goodbye to a friend but some are harder than others. This was one of those times, but he was so ready - he was in pain. He was suffering and losing the use of his back legs, he was already incontinent and had pretty much stopped eating. Every time he was unable to control his bladder or bowels you could see how hard it was - he looked genuinely ashamed. His dignity had become comprised which is so hard for a dog.He slipped away very quickly and quietly, he didn't struggle - he accepted his fate and in fact he embraced it. He was so very ready to let go and he did. Thank you Wendy & Mads for giving him all the love he could have ever wanted, and received. The last 2 years - and especially the last few months of his life - were more meaningful that the many years we believe he had before he came to us. Thank you too to Ed and Claudia and all of you who followed his story, helped with his many many vet bills and care. He was loved and and I hope he knew it.

Geralds mum had this to say about our boy:
Gerald was a complete joy to be around, we fell in love instantly and we will never forget him. He was funny, loving, and so very loyal right to the end. To name but a few of his quirks we will miss:
-the way his tongue crept out when he slept
-his pathetic girly whimpers when he dreamt
-the way he crinkled his forehead and started walking with a slight bop whenever he saw another dog
-his bunny hop runs
-the way he would jump at us when he got excited, kind of like we were his personal trampoline..
-his inability to catch a ball… or anything
-his face when he knew he was about to get his eye drops!
-his well-timed farts and burps and his facial expressions following these
-the way he tried to walk through doors and windows because he never fully understood how those worked!
-the way he responded to whatever name we called him (including Elsa or Princess)
-the way he could sleep through a million noises but when the cheese came out the fridge he was there in an instant.
Alas, I could go on and on. He was a true character, a friend and loyal companion and we just hope he knew we loved him, and that we were his family. Rip our beautiful, gentle giant <3
RIP gentle one, you are happy again and without pain!


Local dog, Cookie was abandoned deliberately by her owner because she was old. She stumbled into the path of a wonderful person and family who took her in, even though their own dogs were most disagreeable and made it known.

We tried to find her a home however her age (she was a senior - 11+) and the timing (summer holidays) were against her and she had no luck.

Finally it was agreed by her finder that she would go to Switzerland to live out her days there with extended family. What an amazing life she had from there on, she went to school with her new mum and wandered the hills as free as a bird when school was out.

Sadly beautiful Cookie had a tumour which took recently but we are so glad that her last years though short were the best of her entire life.

Thank you Antje and RIP sweet Cookie.



Merlin came to us at the ripe old age of 14, abandoned in a particularly cruel way and in terrible condition. He was in foster for a year and his mum, he and I were going to meet up a week today to do his health check and talk about adoption.

Tragically that won't happen, he had an accident yesterday, he managed to squeeze through a small gap between the bars of the balcony railings and plunge 4 stories to the ground below.

His leg broken, the bone protruding through the skin, and as horrible as it sounds that wasn't the main concern. The prospect of internal bleeding was, and sadly is what took him.

He spent a comfortable night on masses of pain killers, however his little body wasn't able to take the shock and he slipped away in the early hours.

For those of you with older dogs and cats, please take a look at those small spaces, those places that seem impossible to reach or be problematic. Our older pets, just like us, with age their senses dull and they can easily forget, get stuck or god forbid fall. Don't let this happen to your loved one!

This is so very sad, he was a special little fella with a huge amount of strength and character.

RIP little man - gone but not forgotten.



She stayed with me for a few years, a funny feisty little girl who went to a home with a garden where she pottered around happily.

Sadly her 16 years came to an end this week and little Venus has gone to be with Fugly, Eve and many other friends with so many of the same attributes and quirks.

RIP Veenie V

Thank you Amanda for loving her, quirks and all.


At 5:30pm on Monday 14th March 2016 Copa passed away - all the love in the world couldn't save him - he had all that love and more. RIP sweet, loyal boy. You were always Christian's inseparable best friend..



A couple of years ago we inherited 2 cats from another organisation. The elder of the 2, the mum was the healthier of the two (or so we thought) until she had to have a mammary strip, then dental, then another strip and so on. She got through all of it and appeared to be well and fully recovered, when suddenly almost in the blink of an eye she took a turn for the worst and passed away, albeit aided in a matter of hours.

She had a terrific home and a very happy life with her daughter and her dad who spoiled her and gave her the best of everything. Thank you Paul for all you did for her and continue to do for her daughter, I hope she's not too lonely. RIP little one you are so very much missed but never forgotten.


Ranger looked like a very old dog when he came to us, reason being he'd been in a home where their idea of care was at best, ridiculous.

They would wash him more often than a dog with a skin problems. They washed him once a week, I kid you not, the result...... his coat was dry and brittle, he scratched constantly because all the natural oils had been removed.
They would wipe his face before and after food like a child - they fed him mainly human food and too much of it. This resulted in adding to his already horrible coat and skin, a mouth full of rotten yellow teeth and 4+ kilos of fat - he was horribly overweight! This, of course, put pressure oh his hips and legs which were already weak as he had no muscle tone. They didn't walk him either - in case he got dirty or something bad happened to him, the list was endless and ridiculous ..................
When he was finally adopted by one of our dog walkers and volunteers there was a lot of work to be done and it took a long time to get him back to speed and in good shape and health.  He lived a truly blessed life, like a King but a dog King. He was shaved in summer with the most hilarious haircuts which made us all laugh. In time, the shine returned to his coat and his dead lifeless eyes too. He had muscle and enjoyed his strolls and then real walks - he even allowed the resident cats to be around him.
Sadly, as is common to Retrievers and Labs, he got cancer last year and the diagnosis was bad - I won't go into the medical side. His parents home cooked and took a natural approach to his care; the sacrifices they made - unimaginable to most. He lived for more than 6 months longer than was ever imagined possible. The vet actually commented on how incredible he looked, but sadly a second tumour undid him and he passed quickly with help.
RIP Ranger you touched so many hearts and have certainly left a void! Thank you for allowing us to learn so much about natural remedies, foods, herbs because of you xx


Sadly another of our original 46 Sanctuary cats passed away.
Kiwi was never homed and was a lovely, mellow cat who kept herself to herself. At only 5 years old she developed kidney failure - so common in cats but not in such youngsters necessarily. After 3 days on a drip to keep her hydrated and comfortable, she made no improvement at all and refused to eat - she passed away quietly and without warning on Thursday - RIP Kiwi - no more pain or discomfort.
Many thanks to the staff at Whiskers n Paws (Vicky) for caring for her - she was very happy there!


Sadly we had to say goodbye to our lovely dog, Ms Cassidy. When a dog can no longer stand up or move her head without pain you know its time! To have to live on so many painkillers you are oblivious to who, what or where you even are. It all happened so quickly too - in a week it began and ended!

Dogs have dignity and when they can no longer get up to relieve themselves, its more than unpleasant for any animal to have to lie in it.

What certainly made it harder was to see how alert she still was, her mind functioning normally and she was ready and willing to try and drag herself onto her feet to eat a Pomeranian wandering past.

Surgery could not fix her, the odds being 70 - 30 and she could have died on the table. The MRI and discussions with 3 different vets all lead to the same thing. Her spine, neck were shot and irreparable and then her hips too - god how she ever endured the pain ........

She was sweet and loving to the last second, she passed away peacefully and like dogs do accepted her fate.
We all shed tears of course and will do again I'm sure - thank you to Prodi & Rinku for giving her 18 months of love happiness and a home.
Sadly her father Butch, is bewildered and certainly missing his daughter. They'd been together their whole lives and endured all manner of hardship - not a great start to the New Year but we are all here for just a spell.
RIP dear Ms Cassidy gone but never forgotten!


I'm in tears as I write this - it was so very sudden and yet just as painful.

Our dear little Rosie passed away last night - she was her usual happy self all day and then climbed into bed with her mum and dad and slipped away peacefully in her sleep.

We did all we could for her, and her adopters loved her to the very end. Her life was short but she was adored and happy. She went through so much in her short life but died in a home and loved!
I know that even if we had got her earlier, her heart would have given out - she was destined to be with us for a short time only .......
RIP - and thank you to everyone who did so much for her - Kim and Olive especially who tried for 3 years to catch her. Mary Kathryn for adopting her and Andy + the Acorn team as well as Dr Ian.


This was Paul, a young, vibrant, super friendly boy who recently died of suspected lepto. His family are devastated by his passing and asked me to let people know to be careful if they see any symptoms.

Don't wait and observe, if your dog goes off his/her food, becomes lethargic, vomits or is off colour - get to the vet immediately! Every minute counts and his mum feels that had she got him to the vet sooner they may have been able to save him.

If you don't know about lepto - ask your vet or google it. After heavy rains come standing water - where a rat has peed, a lick of the pavement where a rat has been or a drink from disgusting standing water on a trail - how could you know?

A couple of years ago a human I know got lepto - he and his dog were standing in a stream after heavy rains. He had a small cut on his ankle, he was hospitalised his dog was fine.

Most vets vaccinate against lepto but only about 6 strains and there are approximately 16. Hey 6 is better than none right?

RIP Paul you are gone but not forgotten xx